Saturday, 6 April 2013

An Introduction


 Kriegspiel Gaming at my Place.

My Kriegspiel rules were designed for me in mind, so I can safely assume for many of you they will be confusing and possibly long winded which describes my personality to the T.

My wants in a kriegspiel differ on which aspect I am looking at the game from, in a solo game I love detail, so I dont mind recording morale units levels for every unit and half expecting my Militia battalions to go of half cocked when they receive new orders.
However in a team game I am aware others are not so married to the detail aspect of kriegspieling so I need a game that flows quickly and smoothly.

In most of the recent kriegspiel type games I have been involved in as umpire I have ran a very simple version of Kriegspiel allowing the players simply to move from one node to another with a slight input of intel to keep them a little aware of what may be coming.
However for a true team Kriegspiel type game there needs to be much more uncertainty in the game than simply moving from one node to another, one should expect detailed intelligence (whether its true or not is irrelevant), weather, mishaps and command issues. If you want to weigh the teams down more you can throw in logistical issues and then the real command problems all of a sudden become real, possibly too real and players tend to lose interest too quickly.
However in a revamped strategic kriegspiel game I would go with the detailed strategic issues such as movement, weather, command, intelligence. Within these concepts each will have its own issues enough to tweak the true Kriegspieler.
The logistic issues should be a basic system which simply links or ties units to a depot and depots to other depots, more details than that should only be considered if all players are in total agreement, and if so then you get down to ammunition and supply usage along with baggage trains and supply trains. However in these circumstances both sides should at least have a quartermaster player to bother which such detail, if there enough players he should be a dedicated quartermaster however if not he should be the player with the least game demands.

On the tactical level where a player is likely to want to fight kriegspiel battles in most cases it is likely under a PBEM or solo system. In both of these situations I would try to take most of the “god like” certainty out of a players hands. Leave him to write the orders for his units, send the dispatch riders and then watch with baited breath to see if the dispatch riders safely arrive and if the commanders adhere to the orders.
Under my command system new orders will generally be understood and acted on, but there is a small chance they will not, and then one needs to prepare for the unexpected.
The chance of things going awry will generally depend on the experience level of the unit involved, you can expect a irregular unit to get things wrong far more than a veteran unit, and when they go wrong it can be spectacularly wrong.
For some the combat system may be either too detailed or not detailed enough, but in all the game tests I have done I am quite satisfied the results were realistic and fair, generally one side or the other will lose cohesion and simply be unable to safely stay in contact.
Rarely in a game have I seen one side physically destroyed before its morale was so weakened units were to fragile to stay.
The rules I have included here are as I stated earlier designed for my solo wargaming aspect and perhaps for a revamped PBEM strategic game, they are free for anyone to use, change and adapt to their own circumstances. If things are changed or added I would love to hear more, so perhaps I can use the new alterations myself and that way we may collectively build a good kriegspiel system for all to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment